Monday, August 8, 2011

Creamy Organic Tomato Soup

Oh how I love creamy tomato soup! My Grandfather has a big garden full of tomatoes and he's always bringing them over by the buckets! Dan and I just made the best tomato soup for lunch today! My recipe is adapted from the recipe found on allrecipie.com.       



Ingredients
4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 slice onion
4 whole cloves
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of black pepper
2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste
2 tablespoons half and half


Directions
1) In a pot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Remove from heat and run the mixture in a food processor until blended. Strain the soup through a mesh strainer and into a large bowl. Set aside. Discard the tomatoes that were left in the strainer.

2) In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Now add 2 teaspoons of white sugar and 2 tablespoons of half and half. Stir. Season with salt and pepper, adjust to taste. Turn of your heat and pour the soup into serving bowls.
Notes:
*********
-Garnish with whatever you desire! Here are some tasty ideas: cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, cheese etc.
-I love to serve this soup alongside a grilled ham and cheese sandwich! It's perfect for dipping.

7 comments:

  1. Any kind of tomato soup works perfect for us. We can prepare this more in the spring time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp! That looks awesome...I could eat this all year! It may be hot out, but I'd totally dig this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomato soup and am always looking for new and good ones. This one's defo a keeper!

    Tobias

    http://tandteacake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this soup of yours, and it was fabulous, so thank you!! I usually do not like tomato soup, but this one looked hearty enough and it was! I immediately told my mom about it and now she is going to make it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An all-time fave -- perky, comforting tomato soup with a grilled cheese. I loved it as a kid and still do now, decades later. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious, I love me some tomato soup:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that all of you love the recipe! Thanks for reading everyone and have fun cooking!!!!

    ReplyDelete