Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ladurée French Macaron Recipe


I made a batch of  French Macarons the other day. Boy do I love these little things, but they are a pain to make...until I tried this recipe! Daniel and I honeymooned in Europe and we stopped in Paris to try the ever coveted Ladurée macarons. They were amazing! I picked up their English Sucré cookbook so I could make them at home. Be patient, say a prayer and they will turn out beautiful. 

This is a macaron shell recipe from Ladurée -- the crème de la crème of macarons in the world! And I whipped up the filling recipe myself...
Makes approximately 50 macarons
Bake at 300F

Macaron Shell Ingredients
2 ¾ cups + 1 tbsp (275 g) fine almond flour
2 cups + 1 tbsp (250 g) confectioners' sugar (aka powdered sugar)
6 +1/2 egg whites (room temp)
1 cup + 1 tbsp (210g) granulated white sugar
3 drops of whatever food coloring you desire

Directions for Macaron Shells:
1. Combine the ground almond flour and the confectioners sugar in a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles a fine powder {do not over mix or you will end up with paste! Nooo!}. Sift through a sieve to remove any lumps.

2. In a large bowl {I use my KitchenAid}, whisk 6 egg whites until foamy. Once they are frothy, add a third of the granulated sugar {precisely 83.3 oz}. Whip until the sugar has dissolved. Add another third of the sugar. Whip for 1 minute. Add the last third of the sugar and whip for one minute. Egg whites should be glossy and hold soft peaks. Using a spatula, delicately fold the almond flour and confectioners' sugar into the whipped egg whites. In a separate bowl, beat the remaining 1/2 egg white until just frothy. Then add it to the final mixture, folding gently to slightly loosen the macaron batter.

3. If you only want to make one color of macarons, then add your desired food coloring to the batter bowl. If you want multiple colors, divide your batter into separate bowls and add coloring to each. Try not to over mix.

4. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag {you can also use zip lock bags with a cut corner}. Pipe small macaron rounds 1 1/2 inches in diameter onto a  lined baking sheet. I like to line mine with a silpat or this fancy macaron mat. Parchment paper will also do. Lightly tap the tray on the counter to release any air pockets. Allow the macarons to sit uncovered for 10 minutes, so a thin dry coat forms on the top {you should be able to gently touch them without the batter sticking to your finger}. Now they are ready for the oven. Only bake one tray at a time. Bake at 300F for approximately 15 minutes or until they form a smooth shell and little foot.  
*You can prepare the next tray while you wait for the first batch to bake.

5. Ok here is where you'll need to be extra patient. Wait until the macarons have completely cooled before peeling them off the mat. If they stick, they are not ready. * My method {because I'm impatient} to speed things up, try placing the hot baking sheet on top of cold damp dishtowels. This can cut your waiting time in half!


Macaroon Filling Ingredients
8 tbsp jam
4 tbsp soft butter
splash of whipping cream
Fills approximately 50 macarons 
{If you want to make different flavors on a smaller scale just measure 2:1 ratio for jam and butter}

Macaron Filling Instructions
Easy part!
1. You can use any flavor you want. For these macarons, I made different flavors for each color -- peach, strawberry, blueberry and chocolate. Mmmmm. My friend gave me some amazing homemade jams that I mixed with butter and a splash of whipping cream.  Your measurements will vary depending on how much filling you want for each flavor. Just mix jelly, butter and whipping cream until you reach a semi-solid consistency at room temp. This one is pretty hard to mess up.  
*I used Nutella for the chocolate hazelnut filling.


Good luck my friends!

               
           ^^^ Whipping the egg whites and sugar                       ^^^Smooth shell and little foot!                                                  
Done!







^^^Blood orange and framboise macarons from Lauduée on our honeymoon.























We jumped on a bus and took our macarons to the Eiffel Tower. Cliche? Yes. But this was a perfect moment for us. We sat on a park bench, gazed at the tower and savored every bite of of these Frenchy treats. Macarons, a pretty day in Paris and the love of my life... what more could I want! 

11 comments:

  1. Okay, I have a sudden irresistible urge to hop on a plane and eat macarons in front of the eiffel tower. It needs to happen! Those look SO good!
    Kelly @ View Along the Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hey Kelly! So nice of you to stop by! Glad you liked the post :)

      Delete
  2. I am going to try these this weekend, thank you for the detailed information! One question: when you say it makes 50 macaron do you mean 50 completed macaron or 50 individual shells (which would give 25 complete). Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! I have a 'kit' sitting here that I bought more then a year ago that includes one of those 'fancy mats' but am intimidated by the 'these can go horribly wrong' posts *shiver*. Your post makes it look so much more bearable! I suggest instead of jam/butter/sugar filling though to go all out and try a ganache or even go more divine and try flavors you might not have tried before like lavender. I'm looking to experiment with it all soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Missy! Thanks for the suggestions and have fun making them!

      Delete
  4. Quick question: do you pack the almond flour by measured weight or loosely measured 'cups?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these tonight and they came out AWESOME. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YAY! I'm so glad they came out perfect for you! Thanks Piper!

      Delete
  6. Took longer than 10minutes to dry out, at least 20 but that's probably due to the temperature of my kitchen. I baked mine on a silicon macaroon sheet and they came off straight away.
    Look fab, although I haven't tasted them yet!
    My top tip is to be patient, don't rush the folding in process, the wait will be worth it

    ReplyDelete