Tuesday, August 5, 2014

DIY Sunburst Mirror


So I've been drooling over this sunburst mirror for a few years now. All the mirrors that I like are way out of my price range {such as this one}. Why in the world is this mirror $449!? I dunno. So I thought it was about time that I attempted to make one myself. Here's what you'll need.

Shopping list:
10" mirror {I got mine at Target for $12.99}
metallic gold spray paint {Michael's $4}
3 packs of shish kabob sticks {Target 99¢ each}
E6000 glue {$2 Michael's}
scissors or clippers
glue gun {already had -->not pictured}

Total cost = around $22

Directions:
- cut your shish kabob sticks into various lengths. I cut around 60-5" sticks, 40-6" sticks, 40-7" sticks and 20- 8" sticks {place in separate labeled piles so they'll be easy to grab when you start the pattern} 
-Fire up your hot glue gun and turn you mirror face down.
-I started by lining up 4 of the 8" sticks with the lines on the front of the mirror. Dab a pea-size amount of hot glue on each point on the backside of the mirror 1/2" from the edge. Place each stick accordingly. 
-start the pattern {see below}
-Once complete, squeeze E6000 glue over the sticks to seal any weak spots that the hot glue gun may have missed.
-Let the glue dry overnight
-spray paint everything the next day {be sure to cover the mirror}

easy as that...


Pattern ^
8", 7", 6", 5", 5", 5", 6", 7", 8"...








5 comments:

  1. Seriously why didn't you post a picture of what u did on the back??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wendy, I took a picture of the back for you. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous and so simple! I think I'll try it with an old clock I have! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing DIY project! I love how you differentiated those costs, which are really far apart. This one is so easy to do. I'm definitely trying this one out, so that I could have a nice new wall centerpiece for my living room. Thank you so much for sharing this. More power to you and your blog!

    Lynne Hollaran @ Suburban Glass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god! i love it - looks like something you could actually buy in a home store (expensive too) xoxo

    angiexoh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.